BigChange’s File Library acts as a conduit between your office and mobile workforce, allowing the back office to upload files that are then visible to resources in the field, via the JobWatch app.
Examples of files that you may wish to upload include:
- company policies
- certificates of trade bodies
- user or installation guides for parts and equipment
- files which may be required by specific clients.
So what makes the BigChange File Library so different?
We offer comprehensive, granular control of each file entry, meaning you can choose exactly who you would like to view each document: by resource group or universally.
Not only that but we also provide access to historic versions of a document for archiving, with access through the back office. This means that whilst mobile workers will only see the current version, other versions are still available to provide an audit trail, detailing when and who uploaded each edition of the file.
Worksheets can be used to harness the power of the File Library. Administrators can add a file to be displayed as part of a job and JobWatch will automatically save the date and time it was viewed, making it perfect for documents such as Risk Assessments.
The File Library feature is incredibly versatile. It can be configured to display internal documents and/or an equivalent document for the customer your resource is visiting. You can also add a document with no internal equivalent but which is essential reading for the job site. Where necessary, you can even use visibility options to control the intervals at which a document needs to be viewed by your resources.
Understanding the File Library
When logged into the site either as an administrator or as a user with the permissions to administrate forms, navigate: My account → Administration→ [side menu] Forms → File Library.
The screen is divided into two sections, Filter and File Group:
- The Resource group filter allows you to select one or all resource groups. The files which are then shown in the lower section are the only ones visible to the group selected.
- The File group field allows you to create or edit groups. You can also delete them if they have no documents attached to them.
- The File name field is a shortcut, allowing you to search for a specific file.
4. File group – this is the folder the file sits within, created in (2) above. They are the resources who can view the document.
5. Name – the name of the file which is displayed in the app.
6. Version – The version of the file, only the most recent is available on the app but previous versions can also be accessed from the back office.
7. Uploaded – shows the date and user who uploaded the file.
8. Usage – there are two types of documents that can be stored in the file library. File library documents which are always visible and/or worksheets, where the file is displayed as part of filling in a worksheet.
9. Status – showing whether the file is visible.
10. File size– size of the file in megabytes.
Uploading A File To The File Library
Although uploading a file is simple, please bear the file type in mind. The format you choose must be able to be viewed on your workforce’s devices and we, therefore, recommend using pdfs where possible.
When logged in as an administrator, or as a user with the permissions to administrate forms, navigate: My account → Administration → [side menu] Forms → File Library → Add
You should now upload a document and complete the form.
- Upload the new file by pressing ‘select a file to attach’ and choosing the file you wish to add to the file library.
- Name – This field will auto-populate with the name of the document you chose to upload but you can rename it here if preferred.
- Decide which File group(s) and Resource group(s) you wish to be able to view it by use of the dropdown list. If you wish all Resource groups to be able to view this document, simply tick the box next to -Select all-.
- Usage – Indicate whether this document will be available in the File library, (making it viewable at all times), as a Worksheet question, (making it visible only for the duration of a job) or both. Tick both if you wish a resource to be able to refer to the document outside of a job.
If you tick the Worksheet field, additional fields will appear
- The File visibility settings for Worksheets allow you to restrict the number of times that the document is shown to a resource, eg once only, monthly or between specific dates. However, it should be borne in mind that if the document is only visible on Worksheets and visibility features are enabled, resources will not be able to access the document other than at the set times. If you wish your document to be displayed every time, you should leave this section blank.
Version Control Of Files
It is possible to add an updated version of a file stored in the file library. To ensure that the most up-to-date version of a file is viewed by resources, only the most recent version is displayed in the app, however, all versions are saved and accessible through the back office, ensuring an audit trail.
Navigate: My account → Administration → [side menu] Forms → File Library
Select the desired file to view
You now have the option to select ‘upload new version’ if you wish to update a defunct document. Clicking on this will open a new popup window which will have auto-populated the Version number with the next in sequence, moving upwards in increments of 0.1 eg 1.1, 1.2, 1.3. You can manually amend this if necessary.
When selected, a file is available for download or can be manually archived.
If you select Archive, you will receive a warning to ensure that you really do want to archive this document as it cannot be reversed once completed
Please note, if all versions of the file are archived, they will not be visible within the JobWatch app.
Once a replacement has been added and the previous document archived, you will see that only the new version is shown in the list view:
When a file with more than one version is opened, a new tab ‘File versions’ is available.
Opening the tab will display all versions of the document
The current version of the document can be downloaded, edited or archived but previous versions are locked and are only available to download.
Viewing Files in the File Library On The JobWatch App
When logged into the app, from the right-hand menu, select File Library.
The screen will now display the File library in two halves. The File group in the upper portion acts as a folder and initially shows all files available to the device user. Note these are not all files in the library, only those which this user has permission to access.
Where a large number of files are displayed, these can be filtered by pressing on the File group field
and selecting the desired group
The lower section of the screen, the File library, contains all of the files that are within the group. Tap on the file you wish to view and you will be presented with a list of applications on your device capable of displaying that file type, eg pdf
Press on your preferred option and your file will open
The File Library