The Map section of the website is a simple and effective tool which enables you to track your Resources and Vehicles in real-time. Additionally, you can use the Map for functions as diverse as viewing where your customers are located; where stock and equipment is; for allocating territories to different engineers; viewing where there is a charge on a journey; or even for observing current driver behaviour.
The Map can be accessed either via the Dashboard view:
or via the dedicated Map tab on the top banner:
Information within one area of JobWatch is shared with all others, meaning that changes in one area will immediately be updated everywhere, simultaneously. The only limitations in displaying this are those of the permissions or restrictions which are set for different roles by your Company’s system Administrator.
For Map purposes, the information is chiefly drawn from the Schedule and the CRM.
Now let’s look at the black banner menu which appears across the top left of the Map itself:
The drop-down menus beneath ‘View’ and ‘Search’ differ slightly, depending on the selection which you have made between ‘Vehicles’ and ‘Resources’ but the meaning of the icons themselves remain static
When you click on the Resources icon, JobWatch allows you to see the current location of all tracked employees. To the left of the Map, you will see a side menu showing the Group headers you have created in the back office (To add additional ones, navigate: My Account → Administration → [side menu] Resources → Groups):
- Red – Resource is stopped
- Yellow –resource is idling
- Blue – Resource is driving but not to a job
- Green – Resource is driving to a job
- Purple – Resource is on a job
As with this format in other areas of JobWatch, each category name shown acts as a folder front and clicking on a category will open it, allowing you to see all of the information within it. You will note that there is a ‘View All’ option outlined above. Clicking on this will open up all Resources in all categories. However, this volume of information can be unhelpful if you are a business with a large number of Resources. In that instance, you may prefer to look at a single category at a time. In the example above, for instance, clicking on the Electricians category will look like this:
You will see on the left of the image that all of the Electricians are individually listed, with an icon attributed to those who are actively working on a job, together with destination details. The same icon displayed against their name in the list view is shown on the Map, providing a visual guide to their location. Hovering over the icon on the Map will show you the name label:
If you click on the Resource name in the List entry, it will open up further details and options:
- Show Journey – Clicking on this will open a Journey tab displaying a detailed breakdown of the time, distance and cost of the journey: It will also show the breakdown of the journey, with numbers against the different stages: These are then displayed on the Map and hovering over them will show the Resource’s eta at that stage of the journey:
- Show Jobs – This will show the day’s Jobs for this Resource on the Map.
- Send a message – This will open a popup window enabling you to send a message directly to the phone, device, etc of the Resource:
- Hyper Tracker – this can only track when the Resource is travelling at speed, tracking their position more frequently and adding them to the map for an accurate, real-time reading.
- Create contact here – this allows you to create a Contact from this screen which will automatically upload to the CRM.
- Nearest Resources – This option brings up a list of other Resources in order of proximity to the location in question. An accompanying filter allows you to view which have these have moved within ‘x’ hours for more accurate results
- What’s nearby? – provides a snapshot of local businesses and points of interest.
- Who was there? – which other Resources were in the vicinity
- Add to route planner – Click on a point on the map to add it to the journey plan. It will then appear in the side menu with driving directions.
- Street View – provides a visual street view of the current location/destination using Google earth
Please note that the above options are replicated in the Vehicles view.
The Search icon allows you to search for a Resource, Address, Contact or POI on the map, with additional options varying depending on the choice you make here:
- Search for a Resource:
2. Search for an address – Options here include allowing you to quickly create a new Contact and set up a Quick Job:
3. Search by Contact – Here you can quickly change a Contact’s details, eg address should they move premises, or look for new prospects in the vicinity when visiting a Contact, so that you can manage a Resource’s time more efficiently.
4. Search by Points of Interest
This icon allows you to toggle between Road, Aerial and Ordnance Survey* viewing options:
The first 2 options will be the most beneficial for the majority of users. The Ordnance Survey view should only be used when the location is not viewable through the other methods, eg delivery to a field on a farm.
*If you need to use this option, please contact RoadCrew on +44 (0) 113 457 1000 or [email protected] to request that it is enabled for your account. You might also want to look at the What3Words option.
You can put together quick overviews of your Resources using a number of filter options:
Search for Contacts by group or by label eg name, phone number, etc
View, edit or create territories as well as colour-code them. For further information on creating territories, see the separate section of this article:
Search by Job details. Jobs will be represented on the map by a flag with colours of the flag matching those of the job on the schedule.
Search for specific stock items and locate them:
You can also view live traffic.
Zoom – allows you to zoom in and out as required
Full screen – toggle between the default view and full screen, using the ‘Esc’ button to return to default.
Pegman – drag the pegman to the required position on the map to open the street view of that location.
Setting Up A Territory
To create a territory, navigate: [icon] View → [field] Territories → Manage
You can now create an entirely new territory, which is specific to your business, or select ‘Import’ to use preset ‘Territories in UK’. Selecting the latter will open a new popup window:
The Miscellaneous section includes Toll Roads (M6 North and South, Humber Bridge, Dartford Crossing) and any Congestion charge zones.
You can also create Alerts that notify you when a resource or vehicle enters or exits a territory. For example, you can easily create an Alert that notifies you when your vehicle enters the London Congestion Charge area during its hours of operation. For further information on how to do this, please view the dedicated Alerts article.
Setting up Tracking Options
Displaying Resources on the Map
In order for a Resource to show up on the Map, they must be designated as ‘Tracked’ during setup in the back office. To do this, Administrators should navigate My Account → Administration → [side menu] Resources → Add – edit → select Resource → Edit → Tracking settings:
NB Tracking in this context means that Resources can be viewed on the Map view and not that they have been set up for Resource/Device tracking. To enable a resource to be tracked through their device, please contact RoadCrew who will be pleased to advise you of what is required to set this up, and the cost involved.
If you have chosen to set up Resource tracking from a device, you can also enable ‘Can set themself as passenger’, meaning that the Resource can use the passenger setting on their device when not driving themselves and the journey will not be included in their driving scores.
Displaying A Vehicle On The Map
In order for a Vehicle to show up on the Map, they must be designated as ‘Tracked’ during setup in the back office. To check which vehicles are tracked/make changes, an Administrator should navigate: My Account → Administration → [side menu] Vehicles → Add – edit:
You will be able to see the tracking status of all vehicles and then you can edit them or add a tracking device by navigating:
[Select Vehicle] → Edit → Tracking settings:
It is recommended that strict caution is used before changing details of a tracking device fitted within a vehicle, since mistaken attribution will result in vehicles displaying incorrect locations. If you are unsure as to whether a tracker has been fitted to a vehicle, or have any questions, please do call RoadCrew for assistance before proceeding.
BigChange Icons and Colours
Throughout JobWatch, a series of icons and colours are used as visual shortcuts. Below is a Key to their meanings as well as a downloadable version for you to print as a handy guide. If you have queries on how to use them which are not answered below, please contact RoadCrew for assistance.
Driver Behaviour, Tracking and Map