The Sales Opportunities feature, when used well, really allows you to keep a firm track of potential customers, providing detailed information regarding the stage they are at in each instance, plotting their journey from initial enquiry through to placing that all-important first order.
Once the information is input to JobWatch you will be able to produce easily readable reports identifying everything from Sales opportunities conversion rates to how each Sales person is performing.
Please be aware that there have been some updates to this feature. Settings can be accessed from the Financial documents & Sales Opps section in Administration by selecting the document in question. Documentation and videos will be updated shortly.
Sales Opportunity Stages
The first stage of setting up the process lies in the Administration fields.
Navigate: My Account ➔ Administration ➔ Financial ➔ Financial documents & Sales Opps
Sales opportunity stages
Click (1) and then (2) to select Sales Opportunity, followed by Edit:
The window will now have opened with the default Stages tab. Here you can add different stages of Sales Opportunity which can be dragged and dropped to change the order. Note that the tabs are also available for Probabilities and Flags.
Sales Opportunity Probabilities
This useful feature allows for simple identification of the sales person’s confidence in closing the sale, for example:
Click to Add a probability and then select a suitable flag colour to represent it. Prospects falling into the different categories can then be easily filtered based on their likelihood of sales conversion. When looking to set up Reports at a later stage, flags really come into their own, allowing for easy data extraction.
Sales Opportunity Flags
Flags provide both the opportunity for an additional level of detail and an easy way to pull up information through filters. Since there are a large number of colours to select from in this section, it’s easy to create a meaningful internal colour code system that can be used by different departments or for different purposes. For example:
or perhaps by colour-coding a specific level or type of contact, eg blues for regions, green for quotations:
You can also filter by these flags at the front end:
Navigate: My Account ➔ Administration ➔ Financial ➔ Financial document’s custom fields ➔ Document type ➔ Sales opportunity:
Click (1) to Add a new Custom field:
(2) select a Field label/question
(3) Select the type of response appropriate for the selected Field label
(4) Decide whether or not the response should be mandatory
(5) Click Ok to save
Your new field will now be visible in list form:
Now when you are inputting a New sales opportunity in CRM you will see that your custom field will be visible at the bottom of the form:
Navigate (1) CRM → [Side menu]Sales opportunities → (2) New sales opportunity:
The CRM acts as the nerve centre for your business and contains, amongst other things, you address book database. It is here that you will input new sales opportunities and edit existing ones.
Navigate: (1) CRM → [Side menu]Sales opportunities →(2)New sales opportunity:
The New sales opportunity popup will now have opened.
The first field is ‘Currency’ and this will appear as ‘British Pound’ by default so must be adjusted if you are quoting in a different currency.
The next fields to complete are the line items for which you are quoting. If line items are not added here, then the New sales opportunity form will not Save. These can be added in one of 3 ways outlined below:
- Add item – this may be appropriate when the item being quoted on is either bespoke or outside of your general provision, free text can be entered.
- Add predefined item – To set up predefined items for a job type navigate: My Account → Administration → [side menu] Financial → Predefined invoicing items.
- Add stock – add in items of stock and equipment
- Contact – This is a site or customer who is already in your CRM. When you begin to type, after the first 4 characters are input a drop-down menu of current options will appear. It is also possible to add in a new contact here by clicking on the ‘+’ icon outlined above to the right of the Contact field. This will open a popup that allows you to input new customer data.
- Person – This is the person set up on your CRM as the Primary person you are dealing with at the site/customer for this sales opportunity, for example, the Buyer or the CEO.
- Subject – The subject your enquiry relates to.
- Status – The status of the sales opportunity e.g. Open, On hold, Completed won or Completed lost.
- Due date – This due date of your sales opportunity e.g. When you are due to complete the deal or visit them.
- Stage – The current stage of your sales opportunity e.g. Quotation sent. The options available here are those which you input earlier in the back office under My account → Administration → [side menu] Financial → Sales opportunity stages
- Probability – The salesperson’s estimate of the probability of you clinching this contract e.g. Hot/ 25%. The options available here are those which you input earlier in the back office under My account → Administration → [side menu] Financial → Sales opportunity probabilities.
- Owner – The web user who is creating the sales opportunity.
- Reference – You can add a reference number at any time, allowing it to be searchable by the reference filter in the side menu.
- Notes – You can add a side note against the sales opportunity or you can create a separate note for this under the Notes tab. This is a non-mandatory field but is useful for additional storage of information, or saving of tasks to be completed.
- These are the 2 custom fields created in the Administration section.
The Documents tab provides a simple way to create financial documents such as quotations, invoices or purchase orders against your Sales opportunity.
If you open the Documents tab it will initially display as empty:
Clicking on the ‘Add’ icon will create a document that automatically populates with the line items specified on the Sales opportunities Details tab. The fields which display are dependent upon your choice of Document type, as outlined below. Please note the line items can be edited before creating the document. The example shown is of an invoice:
Once the document is complete and saved, clicking on it to edit will give you additional options:
- File – Clicking on this will open a further popup giving you the option to download the financial document into a PDF or email it directly to the customer:
- Mark Sent – This allows you to mark the financial document as sent and this date stamps the document.
- Assign to Job – The financial document can be grouped with a new job so if you are visiting the prospective customer you have the option to associate the financial document with the visit. This can be done by adding it to an existing job, a new job or by adding a job reference:
- Edit – this allows you to edit the financial document should you wish, for example if subsequent negotiations alter the price originally quoted. Documents can no longer be edited once sent so a duplicate or additional document would need to be created in that instance.
- Delete – Although this option is available it is recommended that these documents not be deleted, as they may be required for future reference and deleting removes them completely from the system.
All jobs already created against this Sales opportunity will appear here and you will also have the option to add additional jobs, this is perfect for storing on site meetings, time spent producing documentation, or saving jobs off the back of a successful sales opportunity:
- Reference number – this search box is useful for quickly extracting a single job reference where a comprehensive list of jobs have been assigned against a single Sales opportunity
- This shows a job which has already been allocated to this sales opportunity
- New job – this allows you to create a job to be attributed to this sales opportunity
- Import – this allows you to import a job via a Job reference number which is already in the system:
As you might expect, this tab acts as a virtual notepad, allowing you to make notes on meetings, visits, customer requirements and so on. Unlike physical notepads however, the Notes section is an extremely powerful tool with the capability of interacting with all other parts of the system. From here you can carry out a number of tasks such as attaching documents, creating emailed notes threads via the @ function, phone or email the customer, etc. You can also set Alerts, for example as a reminder to call back the customer on a certain day. Some of these options are outlined below:
The Alert mentioned above can be added via Alerts on the top menu, followed by ‘Create a new alert’:
Another Note function which is extremely useful is the addition of filterable flags.
Begin by setting up meaningful Note flag categories by navigating: My Account → Administration → [Side menu] Contacts & notes → Note flags:
These can then be seen in your Note flags tab in Notes:
Flags Tab & Attachments Tab
These 2 sections act as repositories for the flags and attachments accumulated during the lifespan of this Sales Opportunity. They act as a very quick way to access information on this prospect and ensure that all information is readily available and in order.
On the Attachments tab, you can drag and drop documents onto the tab or use the Add icon at the bottom of the form. The system will ask if this is to be visible to Web users, Resources or both before it is uploaded.
All items can be downloaded by selecting the Download All icon at the bottom of the form.
The ‘Send All’ button is a fantastic time-saver, allowing you to issue large numbers of Financial documents in a single click. Simply navigate: CRM → [side menu] Sales opportunities. Use the filters to display the list of documents you wish to send and then click the Send all button.
A new popup window will open allowing you to either create a template appropriate to the type of document which you are sending or else select a pre-existing template which you have already created. You can also add any further attachments or images where desired.
Complete by pressing Send. Be assured that no documents marked ‘pending’, ‘rejected’ or ‘cancelled’ will be included in the mailed documents.
The process outlined above is true wherever else the Send all function is available, eg Financial documents.
Reports relating to Sales Opportunities can be found by scrolling down to the Sales & Marketing heading under the main Report tab on the top menu:
It is possible to extract information organised in a number of different ways determined by your selection of filters and by how you have chosen to use flags. The information displayed can be presented in as general or specific a manner as required. For example you may wish to analyse what prospects a particular Sales Person has coming up over the next few months:
Or look at what a department as a whole has ‘Open’ over the coming month:
Select Which Attachments to Download
Sales Opportunities, Alerts & Reports