BigChange’s File Library acts as a conduit between your office and mobile workforce, allowing the back office to upload files that are then visible to resources in the field, via the JobWatch app.
Examples of files that you may wish to upload include:
- company policies
- certificates of trade bodies
- user or installation guides for parts and equipment
- files which may be required by specific clients.
So what makes the BigChange File Library so different?
We offer comprehensive, granular control of each file entry, meaning you can choose exactly who you would like to view each document: by resource group or universally.
Worksheets can be used to harness the power of the File Library. Administrators can add a file to be displayed as part of a job and JobWatch will automatically save the date and time it was viewed, making it perfect for documents such as Risk Assessments.
The File Library feature is incredibly versatile. It can be configured to display internal documents and/or an equivalent document for the customer your resource is visiting. You can also add a document with no internal equivalent but which is essential reading for the job site. Where necessary, you can even use visibility options to control the intervals at which a document needs to be viewed by your resources.
You may also be interested in reading the File Library article. To find out more about which file types are supported, read Adding Files & Attachments in JobWatch.
Understanding the File Library
When logged into the site either as an administrator or as a user with the permissions to administrate forms, navigate: My account → Administration→ [side menu] Forms → File Library.
The screen is divided into two sections, Filter and File Group:
- The Resource group filter allows you to select one or all resource groups. The files which are then shown in the lower section are the only ones visible to the group selected.
- The File group field allows you to create or edit groups. You can also delete them if they have no documents attached to them.
- The File name field is a shortcut, allowing you to search for a specific file.
4. File group – this is the folder the file sits within, created in (2) above. They are the resources who can view the document.
5. Name – the name of the file which is displayed in the app.
6. Version – The version of the file, only the most recent is available on the app but previous versions can also be accessed from the back office.
7. Uploaded – shows the date and user who uploaded the file.
8. Usage – there are two types of documents that can be stored in the file library. File library documents which are always visible and/or worksheets, where the file is displayed as part of filling in a worksheet.
9. Status – showing whether the file is visible.
10. File size– size of the file in megabytes.
Uploading A File To The File Library
Although uploading a file is simple, please bear the file type in mind. The format you choose must be able to be viewed on your workforce’s devices and we, therefore, recommend using pdfs where possible.
When logged in as an administrator, or as a user with the permissions to administrate forms, navigate: My account → Administration → [side menu] Forms → File Library → Add
You should now upload a document and complete the form.
- Upload the new file by pressing ‘select a file to attach’ and choosing the file you wish to add to the file library.
- Name – This field will auto-populate with the name of the document you chose to upload but you can rename it here if preferred.
- Decide which File group(s) and Resource group(s) you wish to be able to view it by use of the dropdown list. If you wish all Resource groups to be able to view this document, simply tick the box next to -Select all-.
- Usage – Indicate whether this document will be available in the File library, (making it viewable at all times), as a Worksheet question, (making it visible only for the duration of a job) or both. Tick both if you wish a resource to be able to refer to the document outside of a job.
If you tick the Worksheet field, additional fields will appear
- The File visibility settings for Worksheets allow you to restrict the number of times that the document is shown to a resource, eg once only, monthly or between specific dates. However, it should be borne in mind that if the document is only visible on Worksheets and visibility features are enabled, resources will not be able to access the document other than at the set times. If you wish your document to be displayed every time, you should leave this section blank.
Creating A Worksheet Question to View A File
So once we have added a file to the file library, how do we ensure that it is read by resources at the appropriate time?
This is achieved by linking the document to a Worksheet question, or series of questions, depending on whether you wish them to view:
- An internal document for your own company,
- your own company document and/or a similar document for the customer site they are visiting
- A document which has no internal equivalent and is specific to the customer
Navigate: My account → Administration → [side menu] Schedule → Worksheets or use the Quick Links menu.
Next, either open an existing worksheet or create a new one. The example below shows a worksheet which acts as a pre-work checklist.
Now move on the Tasks/inspections/parts section of the Worksheet and click Add to add a new question. This will open a new popup window. Type in your question and select the Type View File
As with other worksheet question types, it can be marked as mandatory (i.e the file must be viewed) and whether the answer (when the view button was pressed) is displayed on the standard job card.
When the ‘View File’ option was selected, you will notice that the display changed and that a new field, File, has appeared. It shows 2 options.
- General & contact specific: this allows you to display your own company’s file document or replace it with an entry in your file library specific to certain contacts. Using our example, display either our health and safety policy, or replace it with that of the customer.
- Contact specific: this option allows you to only display this question, and therefore the file, when on certain job sites. For example, site-specific instructions.
We are going to create two questions to demonstrate how the different options work. We will also use conditional branching to add an additional, signature-based question for each, that branches to the view files, asking the resource to sign that they have read and understood the documents displayed.:
1. The first is to display the customer’s own health and safety policy
2. The second question is to display an additional checklist for jobs only at a specific contact. For all other contacts, this question, along with any associated conditional branching, will not be shown.
Uploading Contact Specific Files
Continuing our example, in the first scenario, we have a customer that requires our resources read their Health and Safety policy before starting jobs on their site.
To upload the customer’s policy document, open their contact in CRM and navigate to the Jobs tab. Select ‘Contact specific files’ in the sub-menu and then Add.
A new popup will have opened. Select ‘Replace General’ in the File field.
Use the dropdown menu to select the file you wish to replace – here, our own Health & Safety Policy. Add preferences on visibility and whether this will also apply to child contacts, before saving.
Jobs done against this contact will now display the customer’s own Health and Safety document, whilst those carried out for other customers will continue to display our company version.
In our second scenario, the customer also requires that our resources complete a ‘Site arrival checklist’ prior to beginning a job for them. Open the Contact information following the steps shown in scenario 1. This time, we select ‘Contact specific only’.
We are prompted to select the Worksheet name and the relevant, ‘contact specific only’ question that we created earlier. Now upload and name the file, add a File group and save.
Jobs carried out at this site will now display this document as part of their pre-work checklist. Upon arrival at all other customers, this document will not be shown.
Viewing Files in the File Library On The JobWatch App
When logged into the app, from the right-hand menu, select File Library.
The screen will now display the File library in two halves. The File group in the upper portion acts as a folder and initially shows all files available to the device user. Note these are not all files in the library, only those which this user has permission to access.
Where a large number of files are displayed, these can be filtered by pressing on the File group field
and selecting the desired group
The lower section of the screen, the File library, contains all of the files that are within the group. Tap on the file you wish to view and you will be presented with a list of applications on your device capable of displaying that file type, eg pdf
Press on your preferred option and your file will open
The File Library