Web users are the people who can access your BigChange system through a web browser, either on a desktop computer, or mobile device. If a resource is linked to a Web User, depending on the roles that they are assigned then they can actively handle data, eg amend the CRM, create financial documents, etc. If resources are not linked to a Web User, then they will have basic access only eg completing a Worksheet, vehicle check, etc.
Web User Roles, Groups and Restrictions
The display that you see when you open your version will be dependant upon the Web User Role you were assigned by your company. To give an example, when clicking on the My account button, an Administrator will see 3 options:
Whereas a Basic User, eg a mobile engineer, will only see 2 options:
As you will have noticed, the option which is missing from the list is Administration and that is because it is that area which acts as the gateway for most significant personal and global settings for the business.
For this reason, it is advised that the role of Adminstrator is rarely granted, ensuring that only the most senior members of staff can make drastic changes.
Navigate: My Account → Administration → [Side menu]Web Users → Roles:
In this section you can view which functions across the site can be accessed, depending upon the role a Web User is assigned.
- Type – This column is broken down into sections, organised to group features together from the same area of the business ie Schedule, Resources, etc.
- Action – These are the permissions which you are allowing or disallowing a person from accessing. These permissions are organised here on a Role, rather than an individual, level. For example, in the Schedule section of the above illustration, the ability to Create and edit jobs has been given to Adminstrators, Managers and JobWatch Basic Users (mobile workers) but not to Basic Users such as junior office staff. You can break this down further using a combination fo User groups and Restrictions.
- Role Names – ie Administrator, Managers, Basic Users and JobWatch Basic Users. These 4 roles are the default ones set up by BigChange and they are not editable (they are ‘greyed out’). However, you are free to add additional roles specific to your business and these will be fully editable. Simply click on the Add button and award permissions as desired.
Although only Administrators have the ability to view and edit everything, it is still possible to grant Administrative permissions at a more granular level, for example, you might want a Financial Manager to be able to ‘Administrate financial‘ but you wouldn’t choose to allow them to ‘Administrate web user roles/restrictions‘.
Navigate: My account > Administration > [side menu] Web users > Roles
The roles which are shown above are default and cannot be edited, however, you may wish to create your own combination by creating different roles depending on your needs. For example, you might have a role called ‘Finance’ which allows the production of invoices, and a role called ‘Operations’ which cannot. To create your own role, simply click on the ‘add’ button, outlined below:
Creating new roles
Once you have clicked ‘Add’ and named the new role will have been added as a column (see ‘Graphic Design’ outlined above). You can now scroll down the list and tick the Actions that you would like your new role to be able to complete.
2. User Groups
User groups are a simple shortcut to achieving allowances and restrictions en masse.
Navigate: (1)My Account → (2)Administration → (3)[Side menu]Web Users → (4)User Groups:
Existing user groups will be displayed but clicking (5) Add will open the following pop-up:
(1) Name – the title of the User group eg Finance, Engineers
(2) Users available – click on the resource name if visible or search for individuals via the search box. Clicking against the resource name will transfer them across to the Users added box (3)
(3) Users added – these are the list of Users within this group.
(4) Ok – Click to save
Navigate: My Account → Administration → [Side menu]Web Users → Restrictions:
Here you are able to refine restrictions on either a (1) User group level – a great time saver for large departments/groups – or on (2) an individual Web user level:
In the above example. Christopher will be able to see:
- Any resource placed within the group ‘Alarm Response’ and ‘CCTV Repair Team’ (as these are the two boxes ticked).
- Only vehicles ‘1 AB31OOK’, ‘AA66 AAA’ and ‘AP16 HAP’.
- All contacts (as no box ticked).
- All Jobs (as no box ticked).
4. Custom Fields
Custom fields allow you to create fields which you would like to store against your Web Users, eg their number plates or their DOB.
Navigate: My Account → Administration → [Side menu]Web Users → Web user custom fields:
Now click ‘add‘ or click on one from your list if you wish to edit it. A new popup will open which you should now complete, taking care to select the correct answer type for the custom field that you are creating eg Date for DOB. Add the default value if there is one and decide whether it is a mandatory question. Then click ‘OK‘ to save.
Creating a Web User
To create a Web user, when logged in as an Administrator select (1)My Account → (2)Administration → (3)Web Users → (4)Add/Edit (or select Manage Web users from quick links) → (5) Add:
Note the useful 5th column ‘Last connection’ which allows you to monitor the date and time on which each Web user last logged in.
A pop-up will now have appeared allowing you to add a Web user:
- Name: This is the name of the Web user you are creating.
- Email: This will be the email address used when logging into your BigChange website. It does not have to be a valid email address but does need to follow a valid email address format. For example, if you only have one email address for the accounts team ([email protected]) but if three people need access to it, you would simply input [email protected].
- Password / Password confirmation: Create a password that you can remember that is at least 6 characters in length, with a mix of letters and numbers.
- Role: What permissions should this Web user be assigned. Various roles have differing access within the website so should be assigned depending on the requirement for each individual Web user.
- Group: Permissions and restrictions can be assigned to Groups as well as to individual Web users and therefore assigning a specific Role eg Engineer to a Web user can be a fast way of achieving that.
- Mobile phone: The mobile phone number will be used to send texts to web users in messages or alerts. Please ensure you enter the number with your country code (i.e +44 for United Kingdom)
- Position: What is the job title of the Web user at your company.
- IP restriction: If you wish to restrict where a Web user is able to log in from, please enter the specified IP addresses.
- Default job category: If this Web user works on specific job categories, please use the drop down list to select the relevant job category that has been created by you.
- Ok – click to Save
Tag web users in Note comments
You can tag/mention another web user in a Note’s dialogue by using “@” followed by a web user name in the comment eg “@David Nathan”. The user mentioned/tagged will receive an email to alert them, which will include a link to the Note they have been mentioned in.
To tag a web user in a comment on a note, navigate to the CRM tab and click on the ‘Notes’ side menu. Locate the note you wish to tag a user in or click to add a new note. From the Detail tab, when adding a comment in the dialogue box, type @ and as you begin typing the web user’s name, a list of web users will appear. Select the correct one and it will then appear in blue text in the comment box. Clicking ‘+Add’ will both add your comment to the dialogue and send an email to the tagged user to alert them of the message.
If required, you can tag more than one person in a comment by simply adding multiple “@ user names”, for example “@username1 @username2…”. Once they have been mentioned using this function, the next time a note is added to the thread the names of the last mentioned people will auto-populate.
Monitoring Web User Login
When viewing your list of web users (My Account → Administration), it is possible to view user event logging via the ‘last connection’ column in the table. This will display log in, failed login, etc.
To see when a web user was last logged in, navigate to the My Account → Administration and click on the ‘Web Users’ side menu. Click on the ‘Add-edit’ sub-menu to display a full list of your web users. In the table displayed, you will now see a ‘Last connection’ column that details exactly when (date and time) they were last logged into the system.
Set up Purchase Order Limits for Web Users
When you are editing your users in Administration, you can use the financial tab to specify what happens if a purchase order is created above the user’s limit:
- “Document can’t be created” or
- “Doc. created but will require manager approval”
Note that if the 2nd option is selected, purchase orders created above the limit will be saved but will not get synced to Sage. A warning will show on the document pop-up, stating that the purchase order requires manager approval. Users will not be able to download or email the purchase order until it has been approved.
To edit your users, click on ‘My Account → Administration’ and then side menu ‘Web Users’. Find the user you wish to edit and click to edit (open) their pop-up. Click on the Financial tab and on either an existing series or a new one, you will now find the options for if the purchase order is above their limit.
Web User Licences
The number of active users permitted to use JobWatch is determined by the number of Web User licences you have purchased.
When logged in as an Administrator, navigate: My Account → Administration → [quick links menu] Manage Web Users. The screen which is displayed shows all Web Users on your account and the column ‘user type’ denotes whether or not they currently hold an active licence. Those with an active licence will be able to access JobWatch, whilst those who hold an inactive licence ie an inactive user, or a user linked to a resource, will not be able to access JobWatch.
When a member of your team no longer requires access to the JobWatch system, we recommend that, rather than deleting the account, you change their account to ‘inactive’ to prevent the user from logging in. Since there is no limitation on the number of inactive Users, this will not affect your licence numbers.
The number of unattributed ‘active user’ licences which remain is displayed below the field, as shown in the example below. If no number is displayed, your account has unlimited licences.
The Web Users ‘User Type’ column allows you to see at a glance which Users are Active ie can access JobWatch and those which are Inactive ie cannot access JobWatch:
Should you wish to purchase additional web user licences, please email [email protected] detailing the number you require and our commercial team will forward a quote as soon as possible.
If you have any further questions around web user licences, please contact RoadCrew.
If you’re struggling to log in to your JobWatch, please try the following:
- Clear your cookies and cached images and files and then reattempt to log in.
NB: To clear cookies/cached files & images from Chrome, press Ctrl&H when in a browser and your browsing History will open. From here, click on ‘Clear browsing history’ on the left-hand side and tick the boxes you want to clear.
If the above doesn’t work, please email RoadCrew from an email address from your domain (for security) and we will be able to reset your password for you.
Once logged in, navigate to My Account -> Administration, and then click on the side menu ‘Forms’. From here, select File library and you will see that your existing file library will be displayed. To add a new file to your collection, click on ‘Add’ and a pop-up will ask you to choose a file group, as well as selecting the file from your computer (once you have done this, the file name box will automatically populate). Finally, choose which resource groups you want to make the file available to and click Okay.
If your white labelling settings aren’t working as you would expect, we would advise that you check your white labelling settings. To do this, navigate to:
My Account → Administration → [Quick Links menu] General account settings’ → [section] white labelling
Double-check these are all set-up as required.
If you haven’t yet confirmed your email address for white labelling, input your equivalent of the information shown above and click on the ‘confirm your email address‘ button.
You will receive an email from Amazon Web Services (AWS). Click the link that you are sent from to activate White Labelling
If you are still having issues, please get in touch with RoadCrew and they will be able to investigate further.
Web User Licence Types